Saturday, December 10, 2011

Important Lessons

BurningVegan on Tumblr wrote this:

The Five Most Important Things I Learned From Being a Camp Counselor
  1. 1.    Patience is not a virtue, it is a skill that should be exercised always, especially when one least feels like it.
  2. 2.    Treating people differently is not the same as treating them unequally.  To treat two different people in identical manners is insulting to who they are as people.
  3. 3.    Sometimes, it’s you.  Sometimes, it’s them.  Usually, it’s a little bit of both.
  4. 4.    There is no better feeling in the world than a little girl telling you you’re like their second mom or a big sister.
  5. 5.    To paraphrase Daria: “There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can’t be improved with ice cream.”


This counselor knows exactly what she’s talking about. 

I agree with everything she has to say, and I like her list so much that I fully intend on sharing this with the staff next summer.  While many veteran counselors know a lot of this already, new staff members are often left wondering if they are doing things right and what they can do to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment